Directly next to the historic, listed parish church of St. Gereon in the tranquil village of Kreuzau-Boich, located on the edge of the Eifel National Park, is the half-timbered complex from around 1728, probably formerly a residential and farm complex with stables. The building is listed as a historical monument for reasons of architectural and social history.
Due to its prominent and exposed location within an intact village structure, the building is of particular importance. It is also of great importance to the people of the village because the village restaurant was located here for a long time. Before the restoration under the direction of the architect Andreas Franke from Düren, only a few rooms of the complex were inhabited, the visible vacancy being an unattractive sight for residents and people passing through.
Many parts of the building were threatened by decay and in need of restoration. Already during the first inspection the spark flew over the client, his passion for historical buildings was ignited. The restoration in accordance with the preservation order was carried out in close consultation and cooperation between FRANKE Architecture | Interior Design, the municipality of Kreuzau and the Rhineland Office for the Preservation of Monuments. Urban planning, preservation of historical monuments and design aspects were taken into consideration, and the topics of energy efficiency and sustainable building were also taken into account. The loam compartments were renewed in traditional loam construction methods, with loam bricks and loam wall mortar from CLAYTEC. As a reminiscence of the former use as a village pub, a counter with beer advertising was designed and installed as a tea kitchen for meetings in the exhibition gallery area.
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Foto: Guido Franke / www.frankearchitektur.de